Re: Memory requirements, 3GB cache

From: Stephen R. van den Berg <srb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 19:01:27 +0200

Duane Wessels <wessels@nlanr.net> wrote:
>srb@cuci.nl writes:
>>What happens if Squid has to swap? Are the access patterns
>>"civilized"? Or will it thrash badly?

>Probably the latter.

Already feared that.

>>Incidentally, are there any plans to move most of the Store Management
>>to disk, so that Squid becomes less of a memory hog for large caches
>>(he said, while he was contemplating expanding the proxy cache
>>to a 4 or 6 GB striped partition)?

>Yes, but nothing concrete yet.

Ah. Well..., I still have about 24 hours until my cache is converted,
by then it has to run...

What's the current design policy on squid? If such a scheme would be
made possible where most of the store management is off-loaded onto
disk (so that the natural disk cache of the OS takes care of caching),
would it be a requirement that the old way (most in memory) still works?
If yes, would we settle for compile-time switchable?
If given enough room for maneuvering, I might take a stab at
reducing the memory requirements.

--
Sincerely,                                                          srb@cuci.nl
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).