Re: Memory requirements, 3GB cache

From: <ivanl@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 12:06:51 +0800 (SGT)

> > btw, your production machine is (3|4|5)0 GB big and only 3 disks?
> > each disk must be 9GB huge. RAID0 won't like these beasts, it
> > prefers many small ones.
>
> You might have mistaken me. We strip 3 disks with 2 SCSI
> channels into one disk set. But in the machine itself,
> we have a dozen drives, and couples of disk sets.

Similarly. Why many disksets of 3 disks each? Why not a single
diskset of a dozen drives? How can you ensure disk I/O don't
converge onto a single diskset and leave other disksets unused?

> The I/O characteristics of Harvest (Squid ?) seems
> to be read random and write sequential. I am not too
> sure how a single drive approach might work out for
> Harvest. A single drive approach might not have the
> amount of disk bandwidth as of stripping, but it
> does offer the extra head space, which might be useful
> for the Read Random characteristics.

What is "extra head space"?
Go read about RAID. RAID0 can be tuned to cater for random
and sequential access patterns.

> How you guys organize your disks over there ?

Like what I've preached.

---
Ivan Leong  <ivanl@pacific.net.sg>     the power to move
Systems Engineer, Pacific Internet     http://ilsp.pacific.net.sg