Squid queries my parent cache, but tell otherwise!

From: Peter Simons <simons@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 13:58:46 +0200 (MET DST)

I have done a bit of testing and debugging and I came across a curious
fact! I have squid configured to run in single-parent mode with
www-cache.rhein.de being my only parent server, no other neighbours
are known.

When I fetch an URL inside the .de domain, squid reports to have
detected single-parent mode and queries my parent cache. So far so
good.

Anything else (.edu, .com, etc...) is reported as follows:

838641096.304 6348 petium.rhein.de TCP_MISS/200 1097 GET http://webcrawler.com/icons/surf_searchH.gif - NONE/-
838641096.909 6935 petium.rhein.de TCP_MISS/200 1074 GET http://webcrawler.com/icons/surf_special.gif - NONE/-

When I enable hierarchy logging, these requests are logged as
'DIRECT'. I have tried to no avail to fix that, including setting the
firewall option and everything.

When I look at the open tcp connects while loading an URL, though, I
notice that the only open connections *are* going to
www-cache.rhein.de, even though it isn't logged!

Can anyone explain this?

        -peter