Squid across modem lines

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 96 12:02:36 +0200

I manage the Squid cache of a small Internet access provider and several
customers have Unix boxes connected to our cache through modem lines (28
kb/s in the best case).

When they install Squid on their Unix machines (typically Linux), and
declare the provider's cache as parent, they often have TIMEOUT_DIRECT,
probably because Squid cannot reply fast enough for modem links. The best
workaround seems to raise neighbor_timeout to 10 seconds on the
customer's cache.

Does it have drawbacks?

Is there another and better way to do it? (inside_firewall to force
access through the parent?)

(Otherwise, Squid is really useful in these circumstances, both for the
provider which doesn't have a bandwidth equal to the sum of modem links
and for the customer which is quite limited by the modem speed.)