Re: Q: How many users can squid handle?

From: Ong Beng Hui <ongbh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 13:16:56 +0800 (SST)

> I have used the ccd device driver on FreeBSD systems that allows
> software interleaving of drives into a logical drive. Its quiet
> neat, but hardward RAID is probably more suited??

Argh... md driver on Linux too. :)
Yeah. A hardware RAID will be better. Some cache on the
controller will be useful too.

> > Correct me if I am wrong, difficult to span news directories
> > over several disks without RAD
>
> Unless your software supports it :) You could also just mount
> different bits of the news spool on different disks, but thats
> a bit horrid :) (ie. /var/news/alt /var/news/comp)

The usual INN doesn't support multiple spool ?
Anyway, it is out of the scope for this list.

> Our parent ISP runs a netscape cache which runs into their feeders
> main cache (i believe) which is also squid. So from me (home) to
> the world i have
>
> me -> home machine squid -> hub in town squid ->
> our ISP (netscape) -> national backbone ISP squid

We have a number of leased line customers but it will
be pretty tough to convince them on the performance
improvement with cache. Web Caching is still pretty
new.

> Only way to go. Now if we could just convince the rest of the
> Australian community. I get great web performance because of
> squid. My university has massive ATM links to the backbone and
> i get better web performance at home.

Yes. If you have good statistics to prove your point
for your local university, you probably will be to
convince the rest of your countries.

It is also nice to be initated by a non-profit organization.

*8)
Ong Beng Hui
ongbh@singnet.com.sg
...yet another day in an ISP business