Re: Sun OS & File Descriptors

From: Heino Peters <peters@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 16:10:40 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri 16 Aug, 1996, jrg@demon.net (James R Grinter) wrote:
> On Fri 16 Aug, 1996, Heino Peters <peters@dkrz.de> wrote:
> >I have a large squid cache running on a SunOS 4.1.4 machine. Since SunOS
> >will handle only 256 file descriptors per process, I got into trouble
> >quickly. To make a long story short: I patched the kernel to handle 2048
> >descriptors per process.
>
> you can just install the dbe patches that come on the SunOS 4.1.4
> CDROM... fixes up select() etc.

but AFAIK that requires a licence. And I ran into problems while I
tried to buy that licence. The dbe stuff also patches some things in
memory management, that I didn't like.

If anybody tries the dbe patch from the cd, you should also apply
patch 103420-01, or you might get some kernel panics.

All of this is part of the long story, that I omitted from my initial post.

> (select is probably still a bit inefficient and Squid can be a bit
> 'unfair' on higher fds).

Exactly. Same thing with my patches.

Regards,
  Heino

--
Heino Peters         | email:                      | Tel.: