Re: Error-HTML pages

From: Edward Moy <moy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 14:17:58 PDT

On Fri, 16 Aug 1996, Duane Wessels wrote:

> oskar@is.co.za writes:
>
> >Kurt Kayser wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> I would like to see a more flexible way to handle
> >> error-HTML pages. Somehow that error messages are
> >> very interesting, but I guess nobody of our users
> >> will ever get a response from an E-Mail address like:
> >>
> >> Generated by squid/1.0.7@salvator.ecrc.net
> >>
> >> Couldn't we just add a certain file specified in the
> >> config file that would be added to the fixed
> >> error message output?
> >
> >I was thinking that it would be a better idea to get it to mail
> >"person to mail when system goes down" or, even better,
> >add a "user_contact" field to the config file, so that it could then put a
> ><A href="mailto:usercontactaddr">Mail us for cache support</A> html
> >tag into the error message returned.
>
> I'll add a config option called 'err_html_text' where you can put
> whatever you want to appear in the error message pages, just
> before the 'Generated' line.
>
> Duane W.

In the good ol' days of cached 1.4, I submitted a bunch of patches,
including having a custom error directory that could have a custom message
for each error code and for access denial. Here is what the modified
config file said:

# TAG: custom_error_dir
# Specifies a directory containing set of files to use instead of
# the default error messages. They come in two kinds. The first is
# the standard error code errors, and the file names are just the
# error code itself (like 410, etc.). Within these files, special tags
# are defined:
#
# %% just a %
# %a admin email address
# %c error code
# %e error message
# %h cached hostname
# %m user message
# %n cached (ascii) port number
# %t protocol type
# %u URL
# %v cached version
#
# The other kind is the access denied error message, with a file name
# of "access_denied". Within these files, special tags are defined:
#
# %% just a %
# %a admin email address
# %h cached hostname
# %i ip address of peer
# %n cached (ascii) port number
# %p port number of peer
# %v cached version
#
# Note: the entire message (after the special tags are expanded) can't
# be larger than TMPERRORBUFSIZE (it is truncated to that size if
# necessary).

This particular patch never made it into the distribution. This could be
resurrected.
Edward Moy
Xerox Palo Alto Research Center
3333 Coyote Hill Rd.
Palo Alto, CA 94304

Email: moy@parc.xerox.com
WWW: http://www.parc.xerox.com/moy/
PGP key fingerprint: AA A1 12 00 9B 13 07 45 19 61 26 A1 AF AF 99 F3