Re: Selective cache.

From: Tom Minchin <tom@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 21:54:48 +1000 (EST)

> www.netscape.com looks fine, but home.netscape.com doesn't get fetched
> through the proxy (only direct). The same thing happens with Apache's
> built in cache, so I don't think it's even a configuration problem, but
> then again I would have seen this happen to some other guys here...
>
> same thing happens with www.altavista.digital.com.
> after I discovered all these sites are effected, my cache is now
> neutralized for almost a month, but I really want to go back to using it,
> anybody with an idea?

You'll find that CGI scripts (detected with the regexp looking for
a '?' in the URL) at fetched directly and not cached.

I found our cache is quite effective in caching the icons, buttons and
banners of AltaVista and Netscape. The HTML when it's CGI generated won't
be cached in the case of AltaVista.

I think you'll find that Squid 1.0.3 had a problem (from my over caffeinated
memory) with objects that didn't have a 'Last Modified' date or an 'Expires'
header. I notice that Netscapes server doesn't provide 'Last Modified' dates
nor expiry (which they should really do since they change the page like
clockwork). This makes would make it hard for proxies to do 304s on the
page if they can't distinguish the two objects by creation date.

Hope this is of some help.

tom@iacom.com.au