Quick logging question

From: Dave Andersen <angio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 12:39:35 -0600 (MDT)

   I recently brought our Squid cache in to production (we're an ISP),
and before I went off ranting about its effectiveness, I wanted to be
sure of something.

   16% of the requests in the access_log are TCP_HITs. A fairly easy
statistic to understand. 6.56% of the requests in the hierarchy_log are
UDP_HIT_OBJs and 9% of them are PARENT_HITs.

   May I assume the logical thing and conclude that 16% of our users
inbound traffic never leaves our local network, and that of the reminaing
84%, another 15% never goes further than our parent cache?

    The question is, do TCP_HITs in the access_log avoid any mention in
the hierarchy_log (as I would expect), or do they actually get logged in
some strange way?

   -Dave Andersen

--
angio@aros.net                Complete virtual hosting and business-oriented
system administration         Internet services.  (WWW, FTP, email)