Re: Two squids on the same cache?

From: Dirk Lutzebaeck <lutzeb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 16:13:43 +0200

Ira Abramov writes:
> On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Dirk Lutzebaeck wrote:
>

> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to run two squids on the same machine which use different
> > routes. Is it possible that both work on the same cache directory?
>
> my guess is not, because most/all of the meta info is floating in the RAM,
> in the process' protected memory, I guess it is safe to guess the two
> processes won't share this memory either... why on earth would you want to
> run two squids on the same machine? it won't be more efficient, that's for
> sure! get another el-cheapo pentium platform for $1500 or less and run a
> neighbour!

Well, the problem is that our Intranet is behind a firewall. We have
two IP provider using dynamic IP allocation via PPP on two ISDN
lines. I want to run two squids on the proxy/cache machine which
leaves the user to choose the IP provider route via a proxy definition
in Netscape. Obviously the two squid should share the cache. At the
moment I have no plausible solution to it.

Dirk