Re: Squid slow during cleanup

From: Jonathan Larmour <JLarmour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 18:51:36 +0100

At 17:28 10/09/96 +0200, Andreas Strotmann wrote:
[snip]
>on the low side. To figure out how much you'd need, just add up the sizes
>of the squid, dnsserver and ftpget processes (on SUN: add nscd size) that
>you get during the garbage collection, add a couple percent, and make sure
>all of it fits in your hardware main memory. If you can afford it, that
>is.

I have heard reports from people using nscd that it consumes memory without
bound. Apparently, no matter what TTLs you set in nscd.conf, it doesn't
deallocate memory later. It also doesn't support round-robining. You may
want to use a caching-only Bind instead, which will work better if you are
only using DNS, which presumably you are. In addition you could limit Bind's
size, via a kludge that's been introduced as a command in named.boot. (Its
apparently the same as doing a ulimit).

Needless to say, don't use Sun's prehistoric stock Bind, but get 4.9.4-P1.

I say this as someone who doesn't use Sun's (fortunately ;-)), and can't
testify to its validity. I heard it on usenet from a reliable source who has
hit this. (Dave Barr, for those who know him).

Jonathan L.
Origin IT Services Ltd., 323 Cambridge Science Park, Cambridge, England.
Tel: +44 (1223) 423355 Fax: +44 (1223) 420724 E-mail: guess...
-------[ Do not think that every sad-eyed woman has loved and lost... ]------
These opinions are all my own fault.