Re: Getting WS-FTp(windows) and Anarchie (mac) ftp clients to work

From: Cord Beermann, Webmaster der FH Lippe <webadm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 17:13:40 +0200 (MET DST)

Hallo! Du (Chris Pivec) hast geschrieben:

>I have tried many different ways of configuring ftp clients to work with
>squid. Everything works fine with Netscape for both ftp and http but
>things don't work with ftp clients. (I've tried passv with no luck)

I've never seen a ftp-client yet, which is able to speak
http-protocol to interact with a proxy. (When you use a proxy with
ftp://ftp.foo.bar/ you send a http-request
http://your.proxy/ftp://ftp.foo.bar/ to your proxy. The ftp-request
is then done by your proxy.)

When you find a function named proxy in your client then it is
usually a function which has nothing to do with proxy-caching.

excerpt from the ftp-manpage:
     proxy ftp-command
          Execute an FTP command on a secondary control connec-
          tion. This command allows simultaneous connection to
          two remote FTP servers for transferring files between
          the two servers. The first proxy command should be an
          open, to establish the secondary control connection.

Cord

--
Cord Beermann, Webmaster der FH Lippe
webmaster@www.fh-lippe.de | http://www.fh-lippe.de/people/webadm/