Re: Getting WS-FTp(windows) and Anarchie (mac) ftp clients to w

From: Balint Nagy Endre <bne@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 03:04:09 +0200 (MET DST)

Seeing questions concerning ftp-ing trough a firewall with regular ftp clients,
I can recommend installing some ftp-proxy (squid isn't an ftp proxy, it speaks
HTTP on client side and speaks FTP on the server side if contacts an ftp server
directly. Technically the ftp-gateway (ftpget) is an external program.)
- thats an ftp-proxy, speaking ftp on both server and client sides (like ftp-gw
from TIS firewall toolkit) can help the firewall traversal, but users should
learn first the ftp-proxy. (FTP proxies behave a bit differently than HTTP
proxies because in FTP there is no built-in proxy support.) But that will use
no cache at all!
Alternatively someone may write an FTP to HTTP gateway (the inverse function of
ftpget in squid), and install it in a masquerading firewall (like one in latest Linux)
the masquerading firewall then can catch all FTP connections, and forward them as
HTTP requests to a HTTP caching proxy (like squid).
Better is to tell users to not use ftp clients for retreival. If a user want to PUT
files to the outer side of the firewall then only a native ftp-proxy can help,
because I didn't heared about FTP PUT capable HTTP proxies.

And once again: it's impossible to connect an ftp client to squid directly, they
dont's speak a common language (I mean protocol)!
In hope that I introduced less confusion than cleaned up:

Andrew. (Endre "Balint" Nagy) <bne@CareNet.hu>