Re: Slippery Squid

From: Peter Marelas <maral@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 00:02:48 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Joao Carlos Mendes Luis wrote:

> #define quoting(Peter Marelas)
> // > About a month ago our technical advisor (who is situated about 400Km away)
> // > suggested that we upgrade our proxy server so we purchased a new
> // > machine(Intel 166/128Ram 4GB) and it was configured with Solaris 2.5 and
> // > Squid 1.0.12 installed.Since it's introduction the cache serving has slowed
> // > down considerably....like 50% of what it use to be.
> //
> // What type of disk does this intel machine have? If its IDE this could be
> // the problem.
>
> Probably...
>
> // A SPARC 5 is superiour in I/O over your intel machines (even if it is SCSI). One of the main functions of any proxy server is to read/write from/to disk.
>
> Just tell this to my benchmarks, where disk I/O in a Pentium 133, 64M RAM,
> AHA2940U, Fast SCSI2 Disks, FreeBSD operating system got a disk performance
> ratio 3 times greater than a Sun Sparc20 !!!

Well if its using the narrow scsi controller on-board then your tests can
be argued. You would also have to consider the number of devices on the chain.
You've also introduced a new operating system. Based on my experiences, Sparcs perform better under large loads running solaris.

--
The Fulcrum Consulting Group               Peter Marelas - Consultant
12/10-16 Queen St, Melbourne VIC 3000,Australia   Ph: +61-3-9621-2100