Re: squid cache retrieval in place of errors

From: David Luyer <luyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 18:14:55 +0800 (WST)

On Fri, 11 Oct 1996, Christian Balzer wrote:
>> Bill Wichers wrote:
>> >
>> >Is there a way to configure squid so that it will return a URL from cache
>> >(if it has it in cache, of course ;-) in place of an error message if it
>> >can't reach the site directly? This would allow it to return a site to a
>> >user even if its outgoing connection were to fail, or if the remote site
>> >was down.
>> >
>> An option like this would be nice (and has be requested just recently
>> before), though it would be even nice if pages such retrieved could be
>> prepended with some message (heading) stating that this is a stale
>> copy and not the real thing...

While I don't think this (above) is practical as images, etc, cannot be
given such a warning, maybe the error page should have a link to something
like

http://your.cache.host:3128/cached/old/http/some.other.host/path/to/file.html

titled, say, "An old cached copy is avaliable".

And squid could be made to return and data from neighbours or itself which
it can find, regardless of expiry dates, for these special requests?

Would this be able to be implemented?

David.