Re: Accelerator Vs. Virtual Domains

From: Nelson Posse Lago <listas2@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 13:46:22 -0200 (FST)

On Tue, 15 Oct 1996, Duane Wessels wrote:

> If Squid and your virtual host WWW servers are on the same machine
> you just need the -V option. (I guess this should go in the config
> file since nobody seems to look at the command line options).

     That's good, I didn't know that; however, this doesn't help much if
you're talking about firewalls.

> And if your Squid is on a different machine than your servers, you
> should be able to do this with the URL redirector. Of course Squid
> must run on the virtual-host machine. I have never personally tried
> this however. Perhaps someone can confirm or deny whether this
> works....

     I also think it should work; however, this would mean that the
redirector program would be started at every (or at several) request for
each virtual host. This would probably take the load on the machine
considerably high.

     Miguel Paraz considered running multiple Squids, binding each to a
specific interface. Since a good deal of memory would be shared among the
squid copies, maybe the memory usage would be reasonable. I guess it's
difficult to predict what option is worse :-), memory usage or CPU usage.
Can anyone throw in some estimatives?

See ya,
Nelson
lago@that.com.br