Re: Slowness of Squid without any apparent reason

From: James R Grinter <jrg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 15:29:08 +0000

On Fri 18 Oct, 1996, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr> wrote:
>USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TT S STARTED TIME
>COMMAND
>root 7256 8.1 73.8 314M 235M ?? R Oct 16 09:30:19
>/usr/local/squid/bin/squid

the process is using up a lot of memory, and as I note that the
machine has 320MB of RAM total, it's going to start swapping
once it gets that large.

But the size of the process is odd for the amount of accesses you
have. Are people transferring really large objects (use cache
manager and look at the VM objects list and total up the sizes)?
They all reside totally in memory, too - a bit of a problem when
you have a lot of people accessing files, or a few accessing really
large ones - and that memory is used over and above whatever limits
you set for mem usage.

Things are made worse when your clients are on slow connections,
because it takes them longer to transfer those large files, and
the memory is tied up for longer.

-- jrg.