Squid 1.1 "-V" option

From: Nelson Posse Lago <listas2@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 20:25:06 -0200 (FST)

     Hi all,

     I couldn't find any info on squid's "-V" option, so I thought maybe
someone might help.

     If I get it right, -V makes squid listen to multiple IP addresses
on the same machine in order to work as an accelerator front-end to
virtual addresses. My question is, is there a way to configure *which*
IP's it will listen to, or is it "all or nothing"?

     If anyone is wondering why I'd like to specify some IP's but not
all: I plan to have a "main" web server (based on Roxen now, perhaps
apache later) that gets out through Squid. But I'd like to have a
"secondary" server for personal web pages using thttpd. thttpd is a
*very* simple server that implements "throttling": you can configure it
not to take all your bandwidth by serving as fast as it can, but to
limit the mumber of outgoing bytes/sec instead.

     This is nice, but of course if Squid proxies requests for it, it
won't work, 'cause squid will be serving the pages.

     thttpd would run on the same machine as Squid; Roxen will be
runing on this machine too, but only until I get the chance to move it
to an "exclusive" machine on an "exclusive" ether with an RFC1918
address and write a URL redirector for Squid. This is a lousy attempt
to make the server a little more secure (RFC1918 addresses can't be
accessed from the outside). This way, if the Squid/thttpd machine gets
hacked, I don't loose anything important (the "real" web pages are on
another server, presumably harder to reach).

So, if this is possible, I'd love to hear about it.

TIA
Nelson
lago@that.com.br