Re: hit rates ...

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 11:59:21 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Steve Green wrote:

> cachemgr.cgi reports hit rates of .42 ( 42% ) but pwebstats reckons it's
> only 20% !
> Which one do I trust?

It depends - I also found pwebstats reporting different results, because
(if I remember correctly) not all records are converted from Squid's
native format to the "common" log format.

Whether or not this is a good thing is open to debate, as some people only
want to see successfully requested/retrieved items (which, if I remember
correctly, is what pwebstats ends up showing after you convert Squid's
logs), others want to see everything.

Then there's the confusion over what is a "saving" or "cost" in terms of
different log entry types.

I guess what I'm saying is, look carefully at what your stats utility is
counting, when you try to interpret the numbers; then ask yourself if
it's counting what you want it to count.

Cheers..

dave