Default Proxy Advertisements

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 12:26:18 +1100 (EST)

Some recent events 'round here (plus discussions on "ausproxy") have
prompted me to ask - are you *sure* the default setting for advertising
proxy servers is to "off" (despite what the config file says)?

A number of server admins reckon they didn't touch that option (ie., it's
left commented out of the config file, which says the default is not to
advertise), yet they proxy servers have appeared on the Tracker list.

They're using 1.1beta9/10, so I don't know if this is a long-standing
problem, or just something introduced during the 1.1 development cycle.

Is *your* proxy on the Tracker list without your knowledge? :-)

Cheers..

dave