Re: Caching Architectural Considerations

From: Hyunchul Kim <hckim@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 15:33:35 +0900 (KST)

> Robert Kiessling wrote:
>
> > To be more specific. Say you have three networks, a.edu, b.edu and
> > c.edu. I am assuming that networks and DNS domains are closely
> > related. a.edu and b.edu shall use proxy1.xyz and c.edu shall use
> > proxy2.xyz.
> >
> > Furthermore, define CNAME aliases
> > proxy.a.edu -> proxy1.xyz
> > proxy.b.edu -> proxy1.xyz
> > proxy.c.edu -> proxy2.xyz

cache.X.Y.Z can be used instead of proxy.X.Y.Z,emphasizing its functional
aspects.

There are many aliases being used, for example, w3cache.X.Y.Z, wwwcache.X.Y.Z,
wwwproxy.X.Y.Z, ..., However, I think 'cache' would be more appropriate than
any others. :)

> Thats pretty much how we do it here.
>
> It works great, and gives us the flexibility of moving the cache from
> machine
> to machine. We just change the DNS entry, wait for the change to
> proliferate
> and then switch off the old cache.

For those who don't have a local cache, we need some mechanism(s).
- Automatic nearby-cache discovery using multicasting, or something else -
It's the one of issues on Web Caching area.

Any Ideas?

> Steve Green
> CSIRO
> Australia