Re: squid cache retrieval in place of errors

From: George Michaelson <ggm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 09:51:15 +1000

> Is this possible somehow with squid?

  They accomplish that by having the cache rewrite HTML docs as it gives
  them out. Squid doesn't do that (neither did Harvest until they
  modified it).

  Duane W.

Duane, there are clearly ramifications to doing this. Two I can see off the
top of my head is that the user needs to understand the cache is no longer
a "pure" delivery pipe, and that use of the cache implies consent to have
content changed in transit. Thats even more true for providers of content
since there are copyright issues here.

The other issue is that if the lookup cost for assessing if a referenced link
is in the cache is contained, this is a WONDERFUL feature for documents with
good web structure, where the user will vary click-paths in the light of
knowledge of cache speed. FTP archives with mirrors are an example of how
this might give immediate win. As a percentage of total web flow one has to
wonder how big the win is.

I'd love it if the code could be told to just throw away ads from yahoo et
al...

-George

--
George Michaelson         |  connect.com.au pty/ltd
Email: ggm@connect.com.au |  c/o AAPT,