Re: Upgrading Squid config file

From: Jonathan Larmour <JLarmour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 1996 21:40:15 +0000

At 09:39 31/10/96 +0100, Jan-Hinrich Fessel wrote:
>In message <3277F189.6012@scitec.com.au>you write:
>> Tom Minchin wrote:
>> > So if you do a make install and don't update your config file (yes, it's
>> > boring) you'll probably be caught out. Always useful to diff the old
>> > and the new blank config file to see what new goodies Duane has included.
>>
>> What I do is, _before_ (after is too late) I upgrade I make a unified
>
>What I do is have my config files under CVS control.

Perhaps it might make things better if there was, as well as "make install",
a "make upgrade" which:
- does a configure (perhaps configure can dump its args to a file, e.g.
configure.cache, which it then uses each time afterwards until there's a
"make realclean" (or someone rm's it). People generally don't want to change
the options once they set them.)
- does a make all
- renames the old binaries to something else
- does a make install
- munges in any new updates to squid.conf. If any changes need investigating
such as new semantics, or a whole new option, then echo what the user needs
to look at on the screen. Backups would be kept renamed with the appropriate
version, e.g. squid.conf.1.0.20, in case something goes horribly wrong.

I've stopped short of saying that it should restart squid because there
should be an opportunity to verify the squid.conf.

Comments? If its sensible, I'll put it together to save Duane's poor fingers
:-).

Jonathan L.
Origin IT Services Ltd., 323 Cambridge Science Park, Cambridge, England.
Tel: +44 (1223) 423355 Fax: +44 (1223) 420724 E-mail: guess...
-------[ Do not think that every sad-eyed woman has loved and lost... ]------
These opinions are all my own fault.