Re: Multiple proxies sharing cache directory

From: Jonathan Larmour <JLarmour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 1996 23:06:33 +0000

At 13:58 04/11/96 -0800, Kevin Fink wrote:
>Will bad things happen if I run two or more instances of Squid off of the
>same cache_dir?

Horrible nasty creatures will come out of the walls and eat you. (I'm still
in the halloween mood). And the squids won't work either.

The best you can do with this method is run two squids with two separate
cache_dirs but make them neighbors of each other.

>If so, is there any way to have a single instance answer to multiple port
>numbers (a single IP address, but multiple ports)?

You can use something like the Firewall Toolkits plug-gw, to plug from one
port into another on localhost (use localhost i.e. 127.0.0.1 rather than
anything else so data doesn't leave your machine). Unfortunately it means
you have to copy all your ACLs into the plug-gw's netperm-table, but it
depends how many you've got whether that's a problem or not.

>Thanks.

No probs.

Jonathan L.
Origin IT Services Ltd., 323 Cambridge Science Park, Cambridge, England.
Tel: +44 (1223) 423355 Fax: +44 (1223) 420724 E-mail: guess...
-------[ Do not think that every sad-eyed woman has loved and lost... ]------
These opinions are all my own fault.