Re: Restricting users

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 23:08:14 -0500

Excellent question! I just setup a cache machine at a client (a high school)
to restrict accessed to sites such as www.playboy.com and the like.

Here are the relevant lines from my squid.conf file:

acl taboo domain girlsgirlsgirls.com playboy.com penthousemag.com hotsex.com ph$

http_access allow !taboo
icp_access allow all

"taboo" is the list of domain names, and the acl line contains those domains
you wish to block. http_access allow !taboo means allow access to everywhere
except that listed in taboo. The icp_access allow all makes sure the cache's
siblings can get to anything, although I doubt there will be anything that
is tabooed in the cache :-)

Note that you can get around this by entering in an IP directly. Our
client's students do not have the resources (and from what I can tell they
don't have the knowledge either) to do nslookups on sites to get to them.
This works for me.

        -Bill kb8wyp

At 03:02 PM 11/7/96 -0600, you wrote:

>Is it possible to stop users from going to certain sites.
>If so, how?
>

>Thanx
>
>Zsaknor R.(Randy) Powe
>College of Engineering
>Southern University
>Baton Rouge, LA 70813

   * <*> Bill Wichers, kb8wyp, billw@waveform.net <*> *
  * **** Waveform Technology UNIX System Administrator *
 * * * *
* * * packet: kb8wyp@n8nnn.#semi.mi.usa.noam *
 * * * http://www.waveform.net/bill/ *
  * **** *
   * "SONET, ATM, and Microwave... The solutions for Speed" *