Re: Real-Audio Proxy

From: Nelson Posse Lago <listas2@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 23:22:33 -0200 (EDT)

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, James R Grinter wrote:

> On Mon 11 Nov, 1996, Peter Strunk <squidadmin@mail.bicos.de> wrote:
> >any idea how to cache real-audio ? Are there any efforts to
> >realize this with squid ?
>
> you can't really accomplish this. Realaudio is streamed to your player
> from a specific Realaudio server. It could also be a 'live' file,
> which isn't really ever a file at all.
>
> (What content providers can do, however, is set up multiple servers
> around the world's networks and use 'splitters' to make just one
> connection across long haul links.)

              I don't think it would be trivial, but it should be possible to
cache it. The problem is, the cache program has to act as a server
itself, and has to have a way of determining if the content is static
(i.e., a file that changes sometimes, which can be checked with some kind
of If-Modified-Since message) or dynamic (i.e., some kind of radio
broadcast, which should only be proxied, not cached). This, of course,
depends on the good will of the developers of the spec. They do, however,
offer a proxy for realaudio (for firewalled machines), this could be a
beginning.

Cya,
Nelson
lago@that.com.br