Re: Squid & firewall.s

From: Duane Wessels <wessels>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 96 23:02:02 -0800

ollis@att.net.au writes:

>I've got a FWTK firewall, running the http-gw software. I have a linux =
>box inside the firewall, that gets all its pages via the http-gw. The =
>domain inside the firewall is part of an invalid Class C address, and =
>therefore does not have a publically accessible name resolver (not my =
>idea .. I just have to live with it!)
>The linux box is a nameserver for the internal network but has no access =
>to our real nameservers (with valid addresses even :-)
>
>Is it possible to configure Squid to not attempt a nameserver lookup and =
>just forward the requests (apart from requests to web servers inside the =
>firewall) to the http-gw server? and then cache the requests...
>
>The firewall has the echo service enabled, and I have configured squid =
>thus..
>Most of the squid configurations are the default.. cache.log is =
>currently filling up with ..
>
>[12/Nov/1996:07:18:38 +1100] proto.c:205: Unknown host: =
>search.shareware.com
>
>cache_host firewall-host parent 8080 7=20
>cache_host_domain firewall-host
>single_parent_bypass on
>inside_firewall our.internal.domain.name

maybe instead try

    cache_host_domain firewall-host !our.internal.domain.name
    single_parent_bypass on
    local_domain our.internal.domain.name

You don't say which version you have, but with the most recent
version you must also have defined local_ip_list or firewall_ip_list
to reach line 205 of proto.c.

Duane W.