Re: hierarchy & cache.log

From: Hyunchul Kim <hckim@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 14:38:56 +0900 (KST)

> Raewyn Brundell wrote:
> >
> > Is there any purpose of keeping the hierarchy.log & cache.log files?
>
> I don't think so.
>
> I run a cron job weekly which removes cache.log ( I don't do
> hierarchy.log ) then rolls over access.log.
>
> I then run pwebstats on the access.log, and then gzip it.
>
> Steve

You might collect & analyze hierarchy.log for obtaining statistics
about "How many requests were hit on each remote caches?", like this:

NEIGHBOR A : XX% hit
NEIGHBOR B : XX% hit
NEIGHBOR C : XX% hit
PARENT A': XX% hit (FIRST_PARENT)
PARENT B': XX% hit

As someone on this mailing list said before,
current(squid-1.0.20) access.log hasn't include this kind of information yet.

 - hckim@cosmos.kaist.ac.kr