Re: SCO Compilation ???

From: Peter Wemm <peter@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 02:46:37 +0800

Duane Wessels wrote:
> sgrohe@stevey.hqim.mun.eur.compaq.com writes:
> >-- checking host system type... i386-unknown-sco3.2v4.2
> >But as I have no gcc on that system maybe I never have success.
>
> Does SCO have an ANSI C compiler?
>
> Duane W.

I once managed to get squid's ancestor, harvest cached-1.4pl3, to run on
SCO 3.2v4.2 for somebody. It was an "interesting" challenge, as it didn't
have basic services like AF_UNIX sockets, getrusage(), a fair few things
were missing from the include files, and stdio cried foul when the open()
flags were not compatable with the flags passed to fdopen(). (ie: the
O_NONBLOCK flags prevented fdopen from working and so on). Because of the
lack of bidirectional pipes or sockets, the async dnsserver processes were
"too hard". I had code to do streams pipes with /dev/spx once, but I
couldn't find it at the time so it was easier to just do blocking
gethostbyname() calls and be done with it since it was a very low volume
server.

I think a lot of these things have changed in squid since then and
configure checks more things before using them so I would expect that it
would be a bit simpler now to get squid to run, but I would still expect
it to be non-trivial.

Cheers,
-Peter