Curious about this...

From: Richard Munro <munro@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 10:33:07 -0500 (EST)

I'm curious about an aspect of Squid and I'm hoping one of you experts can
shed some light on it.

I take it that the following generally occurs: if a requested object is
considered fresh, it is simply returned to the requestor. If it is *not*
fresh, an IMS request goes out to the source of the object.

Obviously if an IMS request produces newer material, the old material will
be replaced on disk with the newer material, which starts up the cycle
again. But what happens if an IMS request finds that there has been no
motification? Does the expiry date get modified in the cache or do all
subsequent client requests go through the IMS process again and again
until there actually is a modification of the source material?

System Administration Humber College Network Services Department
munro@moe.acad.humberc.on.ca