Re: What's the best configuration for this setup?

From: Duane Wessels <wessels>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 96 17:27:23 -0800

dancer@brisnet.org.au writes:

>Squid is told something like: 'max_bandwidth 44Kbps' and makes sure that it
>does not read more than 44kilobaud from document-fetches in any second
>(neighbours don't count towards this number. They're presumably free, being
>on the inside of the link we're trying to protect, we hope). Delivery of

I think this brings up the most important point. Assuming some kind
of rate-limiting feature is added to the code, it MUST implemented in
a manner flexible enough to meet everyone's needs. If we hardcode
"neighbours don't count towards this number" then two days after the
release three people will want just the opposite (only neighbors count).

Whoever started this thread (sorry I forgot!) claimed that a single
(FTP?) transfer seemed to consume the entire link bandwidth. TCP is
supposed to have this nice load-sharing algorithm, so its not clear to
me how this could happen.

I think the first thing to try would be lowering the TCP receive buffer
size ('tcp_recv_bufsize', squid-1.1).

Duane W.