Re: Memory problems

From: Jonathan Larmour <JLarmour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 20:39:53 +0000

At 14:22 28/11/96 +0100, Florian Lohoff wrote:
>Squid grows only if it uses more memory then used before. It keeps the
>maximum size it reached once before. I cant believe this really as then
>the size of the squid would once grow VERY fast in some minutes and
>sometimes takes days. But my squids keep growing very slowly about a
>week then they are min. 20MB (At start 4.5MB). If there would be a
>bug in malloc implementation why dont i see this with other processes
>like named, apache, cron etc ?

One thing that you have to remember is that the original poster said that it
was the Free Ordinary Blocks that was large - this is returned by
mallinfo(). This means that as far as squid has concerned, it has free()'d
the blocks. This means if the problem is anywhere, it is malloc(). Period.

In the other things you mention, none of them are very heap-intensive,
unlike squid which is very heap-intensive indeed. The others don't have
problems with many large and overlapping requests for heap space.

Jonathan L.
Origin IT Services Ltd., 323 Cambridge Science Park, Cambridge, England.
Tel: +44 (1223) 423355 Fax: +44 (1223) 420724 E-mail: guess...
-------[ Do not think that every sad-eyed woman has loved and lost... ]------
These opinions are all my own fault.