Re: Squid - errors then dies ???

From: Jonathan Larmour <JLarmour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 17:25:22 +0000

At 10:17 04/12/96 -0500, Roch Pageau wrote:
>Here are some errors I am getting in the cache.log, seems to be some kind of
>memery allocation problem. I swithc from squid 1.0.5 to 1.1.23 becuse of
>this and its still happening.I have 98 meg of Ram and 4 gig HD.
>
>Here are the entries in the squid.conf:
>
>cache_mem 32
[snip]

>Here are the error messages in the cache.log:
>
>96/12/03 22:22:34| write_with_timeout: (32) Broken pipe

A browser closed the connection early, e.g. by someone pressing "stop", but
it happens in the middle of a write. Not a problem.

>96/12/03 22:29:50| ERR_CONNECT_FAIL: http://www.trytel.com/

Couldn't connect to this web server! Not a problem (unless you know the web
server to be working otherwise).

>96/12/03 22:35:12| Scanned 1 objects, Removed 1 expired objects

Not an error, purely information about expiration.

>96/12/03 22:36:12| ERR_READ_ERROR: http://home.netscape.com/fr/

Its when squid does a read() on a socket and returns an error. I think its
if the web server closes the connection prematurely.

>96/12/03 22:38:30| ERR_CLIENT_ABORT: http://www.dimensional.com/~randl/pan1.jpg

Client aborted while waiting for data for this object.

>FATAL: xmalloc: Unable to allocate 4096 bytes!

Ahh. Now this _is_ a problem. I believe this was covered recently, and it
could mean that there are limits on your per-process datasize. You could
also check via ps/free/top/etc. that you _have_ got free memory when this
happens, i.e. it isn't some other process on your machine grabbing all the
memory.

Also, from the archive - Peter Matthews (pjmatt@dive.mtx.net.au):
:In BSDI 2.1, I defined the following in the kernel config file:
:
:options "KMEMSIZE=\(16*1024*1024\)"
:options "DFLDSIZ=\(64*1024*1024\)"
:options "DFLSSIZ=\(4*1024*1024\)"
:options "MAXDSIZ=\(96*1024*1024\)"
:
:..and then recompiled the kernel. This was for a box which is a
:dedicated proxy server with 128Mb RAM.
:Before I start squid, I run
:
:unlimit datasize
:limit maxproc 2048
:limit openfiles 4096
:
:in the same script that starts squid.

:My guess in your case is that although you may have unlimited the datasize,
:your max datasize may still be too small. Try recompiling the kernel with a
:greater max datasze (not sure how you'd do this with linux offhand), or
reduce :the cache_mem size in squid.conf.

>Also getting a lot of these:
>96/12/04 08:43:35| commHandleRead: FD 19: read failure: (54) Connection
reset by peer

Again, someone just closed the connection early. There are different
messages depending on the point that it happens.

>96/12/04 09:28:35| icpDetectClientClose: FD 19, 256 unexpected bytes

This is when a browser such as netscape requests Proxy-Keepalives, which
squid does not support. It shouldn't affect the browsers.

Jonathan L.
Origin UK, 323 Cambridge Science Park,Cambridge,England. Tel: +44 (1223) 423355
--------[ Do not think that every sad-eyed woman has loved and lost... ]-------
Help fight spam! http://www.vix.com/spam/ These opinions are all my own fault.