Re: What does TCP_REFRESH_HIT resp. TCP_REFRESH_MISS mean?

From: Guillaume Pierre <pierre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 15:33:31 +0100

> While analysing the access.log-files of squid 1.1.betaxx I often found
> the codes TCP_REFRESH_HIT and TCP_REFRESH_MISS. I think I do know what a
> TCP_REFRESH is, but I do not know the exact meaning of a TCP_REFRESH_HIT
> and TCP_REFRESH_MISS. I thought a TCP_REFRESH occurs if a user forced a
> refresh ("reload"). Then the "Pragma: no-cache" header is sent by the
> client. So when do I get a HIT or a MISS and what does squid do in both
> cases?

I think the difference is the following :

- TCP_REFRESH_HIT : the client sent a request containing «Pragma:
  no-cache». The cache had a copy of the document in its directory,
  and sent an if-modified-since request to the server. Then it got a
  response from the server stating that its version of the object was
  up-to-date.

- TCP-REFRESH_MISS : the client sent a request containing «Pragma:
  no-cache». The cache either didn't have a copy of the requested
  document, or had a out-of date one.

I would be very interested if someone confirmed my explanations. It
would also be nice if there was a *complete* list of status codes in a
later version of Squid (or even in the Web server).

--
Guillaume PIERRE
INRIA Projet SOR - B.P. 105 - 78153 Le Chesnay Cedex - FRANCE