Re: Musings

From: Tom Minchin <tom@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 15:44:38 +1100 (EST)

> Basically, many of our clients are complaining that certain sites aren't
> being refreshed, and it appears the problem may be in Netscpae and IE's
> cacheing system - even when they hit reload, the pages seem to come from
> the cache, not from the proxy server. However, this discussion started
> with the assumption that it was the proxy server that was at fault (it may
> be in a different way, but that's something else altogether).

Some sites are just plain broken. If you can identify the sites with
a regexp then give them special rules. Another good choice is to upgrade
to Squid 1.1 which abandons the TTL scheme in favour of the Refresh
scheme. This means you can set how long an object can be served out
of cache before the object is IMS checked against the source.

> Netscape's cache holding pages. It seems (to my untrained eye) like
> netscape asks the cache for a last-modified, checks it, and decides to
> serve up it's local copy instead of requesting it from the proxy server.
> If it requested the page, it would get the up-to-date one, but it doesn't.
> Bar disabling the disk cache (which is not really practical for dial-up
> users), is there any way to get squid to recognise these requests and pass
> them on, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

This will depend on whether Netscape is set to check once per session,
every access (ouch), or never. Shift-reload can be used to shift out
most 'stuck' pages from the cache.

Going to 1.1 will solve most of your client complaints regards accuracy
of cache objects.

tom@iacom.com.au