Re: Netscape shortcuts and UDNs

From: Tom Minchin <tom@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 17:36:02 +1100 (EST)

> Users have reported that using our squid 1.0 beta 22
> proxy renders their Netscape shortcuts unusable. For example,
> Netscape can find Yahoo if the user specifies a URL of "yahoo"
> when not going through our proxy server. If append_domain is
> specified in the squid.conf file, the shortcut URL resolves to
> yahoo under that domain when they go through the proxy.

This innovation is generally broken under Netscape. Under NS3.01
entering "yahoo" stalls for a while until NS realises that "yahoo"
isn't a local machine, then attempts to go to "www.yahoo.com"
directly (which doesn't work well when there is a port 80 firewall).

It seems to ignore the fact that it has to use a proxy server at this
stage (as it still thinks it's trying to do a local - direct - connection).
Probably something to pester bugs@netscape.com with.

This is under NS3.01 using NS PAC and Squid 1.1.0 (with append_domain
being "iacom.com.au").

tom@iacom.com.au