Re: A More Aggressive Approach to Caching

From: Ernst Heiri <heiri@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 08:23:26 +0100

> One other approach to sites like www.microsoft.com would be to use caching
> software which can be set to ignore the wishes of the content publisher,
> caching material based on rules written by the cache administrator despite
> the wishes of the authors. Ignoring cookies and caching everything for
> administrator-set periods based on URL's regardless of headers is quite
> technically feasible. And do we really mind annoying Microsoft?

I agree with you!

As long as connections to other countries and continents are so expensive
we (cache managers) should try everything to "convince" unfriendly
sites to co-operate with caching proxies in the interest of the users.

What do you think about the idea to maintain a web page with all known
sites which are using unfair methods to prevent caching.

Ernst Heiri

----------------- SWITCH Swiss Academic & Research Networks ------------------
Ernst Heiri Voice: +41 1 268 1540 (direct: 1543)
SWITCH Head Office Fax : +41 1 268 1568
Limmatquai 138 Mail : heiri@switch.ch
CH-8001 Zurich, Switzerland Mail : S=heiri;O=switch;P=switch;A=400net;C=ch;