Re: We're putting lots of work into caching, how about the server side?

From: Pete Philips <pete@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 11:25:45 +0000 (GMT)

> Since lots of people are now pouring efforts into web cache development,
> the quality of the software (like Squid, which with 1.1.0 and above,
> is *fantastic*) improves. But there is only so much that can be done
> on this end. How would be push server vendors and operators to
> at least do the following:
>
> * Produce Expires, or at least, Last-Modified headers?
> This is the root cause of caching problems with sites like CNN.COM
> getting stale. It looks common to Netscape Enterprise setups.
> Apache 1.2 beta looks good in that it does Expires.

Hear, hear! I completely agree that there is only so much that the operator
of the cache can do (even with squid!) without at least a little
cooperation from the webmasters.

Wanting to set the example which I am preaching... How *does* one go about
making Netscape Commerce/Enterprise 1.1 produce Last-Modified headers?

All my Apache servers produce Last-Modified and some even add Expires but
I'm not sure how to do it with Enterprise 1.1!

Many thanks,

Pete Philips

| Pete Philips \|/ |
| E-mail: pete@corp.netcom.net.uk O |