RE: A More Aggressive Approach to Caching

From: James Gwertzman <jamesgw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 16:55:14 -0800

As the tools for building dynamic sites get better this becomes less of an
issue. I can only speak from my own experience, but on a site running on
NT, with IIS (Microsoft's web server) using active server pages, the
default is for all static content to contain the correct expires headers
and for all .asp files to be generated with expires=date and the
cache=private (I think that's the name of the cache header, I forget
exactly).

I assume that caches will ignore the cookie - otherwise you are right, gif
images and static HTML might otherwise be thrown out of the cache.