Parent Hits: scripts to report, questions

From: Jim Polizzi <polizzi@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 09:41:23 -0500

Hi,

I'm using squid 1.1 beta 26

I'm wondering if anyone has any scripts that examine the squid access.log
and reports on the PARENT_HIT, etc. stuff. I've got reporting that shows
the hit rates for cache hits against my own cache, but I'm interested in
scripts that report how effective it is that I'm using. I'm using the
following configuration to point to 2 of the NLANR caches.

# --- Using NLANR caches as parent caches -
cache_host pb.cache.nlanr.net parent 3128 3130
cache_host uc.cache.nlanr.net parent 3128 3130
neighbor_timeout 1

One thing that is interesting about looking at my logs, is that I NEVER see
anything referencing a Second parent...

Also, in doing just a quick scan of the logs, it seems like very little
benefit is gained by using these parent caches... although, I can't say
that I understand what the stuff in the log means...

I executed the following on the access.log and got these results:
# cut -c72- access.log | cut -d" " -f3- | cut -d/ -f1 | sort | uniq -c
2382 DIRECT
817 FIRST_PARENT_MISS
1932 NONE
31 PARENT_HIT
70 PARENT_UDP_HIT_OBJ
480 TIMEOUT_DIRECT
136 TIMEOUT_FIRST_PARENT_MISS
1 text

From what I can tell from this log... out of almost 6000 transactions, only
31 were hits agains the parent cache... Am I reading this correctly???
Does anyone have any documentation on what these various messages mean???

Jim Polizzi
Carolina Wholesale
polizzi@cwholesale.com