Re: Multiple cache_dir problems

From: Balint Nagy Endre <bne@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 11:58:27 +0100 (MET)

Greg Holloway writes:
> We're trying to add extra cache_dir's to the squid config.
>
> Presently we have 2 cache_dir entries. We would like to add another 2.
> When the new 2 are inserted, squid rebuilds the log file having no regard
> to the old log entries (which are still on the disk). We're set to lose
> about 4 GB of cache data if this happens.
>
> In the config file, I've inserted two new entries are added below the
> existing two. Am I missing something obvious or is this squid's normal
> behaviour?
dont forget, that squid stores in its cache log swap file numbers.
mapping of swap file numbers to swap files depends on
number of cache dirs
swap_level1_dirs
swap_level2_dirs

If any of these changes, the log file will not agree with the cache content.

Changing any of these isn't a simple issue, because the cache files should be
moved, or the log file should be rewritten according to the new numbering scheme.
The later is the simplier, if you increased the numbers.
(the old files remain all legal under the new scheme, but the numbers change.)

Andrew. (Endre "Balint" Nagy) <bne@CareNet.hu>