Re: running from inittab

From: Andrew Cormack <Cormack@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 13:42:38 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 6 Jan 1997, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> We do it on a big national cache, running Digital Unix 4.0, because, for
> unknown reasons, Squid (or RunCache) just does not accept to run from
> /sbin/init.d.

I'm relieved to hear it's not just me who had problems getting RunCache to
work from an init.d file under DEC Unix. The problem seemed to be the need
to put an ampersand (&) on the end of the RunCache command - whatever
shell is used to interpret the init.d scripts didn't like that. I did
comtemplate modifying RunCache so it put itself into the background, but
instead took the easy way out and ran it from inittab.

We've had no problems, except when we want to shut the cache down, and
Unix is determined to restart it :-)

Andrew

       | Andrew Cormack               | email: cormack@cardiff.ac.uk     |
       | Information Systems Support, | snail: 40/41 Park Place, Cardiff |
       |    postmaster and webmaster  |        CF1 3BB                   |
       | University of Wales, Cardiff |                                  |