Re: Logfile rotating misbehaviour

From: Marc Delisle <delislma@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 10:17:10 -0800

Andreas Jung wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we are running Squid 1.1.2 under Solaris. Every night we do the following:
>
> 1. kill squid via SIGTERM
> 2. move access_log away
> 3. restart squid
>
> After the restart, squid creates a new access_log file with 1 byte size.
> However squid is working NO entries are written to access_log.
> After killing and restarting squid again, squid continues to write logfile
> entries.
>
> Any idea for this strange behaviour ?
>
> Andreas

From Squid-1.0 Release Notes:

SIGUSR1 now rotates log files
In order to be more consistent with other daemon programs, SIGHUP is
used to reconfigure the running process. This means that we needed to
change the signal used to rotate the log files. We now use SIGUSR1 to
rotate the logs.

--
Marc Delisle
DelislMa@CollegeSherbrooke.qc.ca