Squid doing DNS lookups when running as pure proxy forwarder

From: <Jason.Haar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 08:51:19 +1300 (NZDT)

Hi there

We're behind a firewall, and squid here forwards all non-local queries
up the chain until it gets to the Internet host it's after. So at no
stage should it be doing DNS lookups for non-local hosts as there are
no DNS entries for anything local (i.e. it's a "fake" DNS).

However, I'm seeing tonnes of DNS errors of the form
"ns_forw:query(www.netscape.com) contains our address"

The reason for this error is due to an internal problem I've got
(grumble), but the fact is that I'm surprised I'm seeing it at all. The
only thing I can think of that would cause it is that squid is
actually looking up some of these addresses instead of merely passing
them up the proxy-tree.

Does that sound possible?

Squid 1.1.2 under Linux 2.0.27.

--
Jason Haar, Unix/Internet Support, Trimble Navigation New Zealand
Phone: +64 3 3391517	Fax: +64 3 3391417