Re: problems with 1.1.1 (fwd)

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 16:33:55 +0200 (GMT)

Hi

> > refresh_pattern ^http:// 0 30% 8640
> > refresh_pattern \.gif$ 0 50% 8640
> > refresh_pattern \.jpg$ 0 50% 8640
> > refresh_pattern ^ftp:// 10080 20% 10080
> > ====================================
> Matches "http" as that is the first pattern that is matched. The first entry
> which matches is used. You may want to move your gif/jpg patterns above the
> http one.
Ok - point taken :)

> > newt:~> telnet www.vodacom.co.za 80
> > Trying 196.7.72.14...
> > Connected to www.vodacom.co.za.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > GET / HTTP/1.0
> >
> > HTTP/1.0 200 OK
> > Server: Netscape-Commerce/1.1
> > Date: Saturday, 11-Jan-97 10:00:57 GMT

> > It should be got in 8640 minutes?
>
> No.

> The refresh algorithm checks for (AGE > MAX_AGE), which will be false, so that
> branch is skipped, with all the tests 'failing', the object is tagged as stale
> To keep the page 'fresh' you will want to increase min in the refresh_pattern

From the Release notes:
=============
Note that the Max-Age in a client request takes the highest precedence.
The 'MIN' value should normally be set to zero since it has higher
precedence than the server's Expires: value. But if you wish to
override the Expires: headers, you may use the MIN value.
==============

Ok - I have done this, and it is now caching these pages, but doesn't this
mean that pages with an "Expires" header are now also cached for this
"minimum" time?

Also - from the documentation:

    if (CLIENT_MAX_AGE)
        if (AGE > CLIENT_MAX_AGE)
            return STALE
    if (AGE <= MIN_AGE)
        return FRESH
    if (EXPIRES) {
        if (EXPIRES <= NOW)
            return STALE
        else //See note below
            return FRESH
    }
    if (AGE > MAX_AGE)
        return STALE
    if (LM_FACTOR > PERCENT)
        return STALE
    return FRESH

If I set "MAX_AGE" shouldn't it apply to objects with "EXPIRES" headers?

ie:
    if (EXPIRES) {
        if (EXPIRES <= NOW)
            return STALE
    }
   if (AGE > MAX_AGE)
        return STALE
    if (LM_FACTOR > PERCENT)

I think that you need two seperate "minimum ttl" settings - one for objects
with expires headers, one without. This way I can say "I don't want to
cache objects without expires headers for a minimum time", but I do want to
cache all other objects for at least 3 days.

Thus a group that hosts a "sports" page with realtime updates does get
retrieved every few minutes, even if I set "min" to 10 minutes.

        Oskar

'experience made art, but inexperience luck.'