Re: Problem with 1.1.2

From: Bernd P. Ziller <bziller@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 10:25:08 +0100

> Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 15:28:36 -0800 (PST)
> From: Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>

> Well, it's been hours, and it still doesn't work.
>

> It looks to me like there may be a problem with the _ in the real
> hostname.
>
> www.mcafee.com appears to be an CNAME/alias for scp_ax2.mcafee.com, and
> I think with the latest resolver libs from BIND, the _ character is
> problematic.

 In fact, problematic isn't quite the right term for the '_' character
in hostnames or FQDN. It's simply illegal! Only 'a-z', 'A-Z' and '-'
are allowed in hostnames.
 Well, there is a RFC for this, and the number is somwhere between 1
and 2081... :))
 And some libs are quite strict about this and some just tolerate the
'_'.

regards,

--
   Bernd                  bziller@ba-stuttgart.de