Re: Curious ftp problem with squid 1.1.3

From: Jonathan Larmour <JLarmour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 20:44:37 +0000

At 00:43 15/01/97 +0100, you wrote:
>I agree that application/octet-stram is the best bet for default
>content-type for ftpget.

I agree too, and I already make it the default here. I think the issue
about having to save README's etc. is not a sufficient argument. Okay, you
have to save it to disk, or more likely these days, you can click on a box
that says "Open", and select an application such as notepad to view it. Its
more hassle but you can do it.

However, if you are downloading your .xyz binary file, and it comes back as
text/plain, there's no recourse. Period. Especially on sites like here
where there is absolutely no way to get it because squid is the only way
out of the firewall. (And most of the people are too dumb to know how to
use a command-line ftp client anyway... or their computers for that matter
- lusers >-)).

A small amount of hassle getting it, or not being able to get it at all, I
know which I'd choose. Vote application/octet-stream. The choice of a new
generation.
No more taxes. You ain't seen nothing yet. etc.etc. :-)

Jonathan L.

Origin UK,323 Cambridge Science Park,Cambridge,England. Tel: +44(1223)423355
------[ Do not think that every sad-eyed woman has loved and lost... ]------
April 12th! Ra!Ra!----[ she may have got him. -Anon ]-----April 12th! Ra!Ra!
Help fight spam! http://www.vix.com/spam These opinions are all my own fault