Re: Curious ftp problem with squid 1.1.3

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 22:23:15 +0100

The problem is that some browsers do not save text/* content types
exact, even if the user selects to save to disk. Lines may be broken up,
line endings translated and a number of other bad things (when speaking
about binary files).

Because of this, if the default content type is text/* then some users
will not be able to download (unknown) binary files at allusing squid,
which may well be their only way to get to the file because of network
restrictions.

I vote for application/octet-stream, since then will it always be
possible to use the downloaded information in one way or another. I
prefer to be able to use downloaded FTP files instead of always being
able to read text files with strange names (FTP is mostly used for file
transfers anyway).

But I also agree that common text files (like README) should have
text/plain, but this is best kept as a hardcoded list where it is not
possible to detemine this from a unambigous extension.