Re: Disk cache and atime

From: Miguel A.L. Paraz <>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 17:37:11 +0800 (GMT-8)

Kevin Littlejohn wrote:
> A quick question: Does Squid use the access time on the various files for
> anything?

> If not, would there be any bad effects from applying the
> no_atime kernel patch for Linux, that doesn't update the access time on
> files/directories when updating files?
Good idea, this is the patch that was done for news, right?

> Related question: How much time does file handling take? ie. Is it worth
> putting these sorts of patches in place, or is the networking/database
> code going to slow things down more anyway?

For us, it seems to be mostly network bound. I think it found its
use for news since people pull the same articles over and over again.
I guess it's worth a try?

miguel a.l. paraz  <>              |  pgp key id: 0x43F0D011
iphil communications, makati city, philippines  |  <>