Squid Authorization

From: WWW Proxy <squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 15:14:25 -0600 (CST)

I'm EXTREMLY new to squid, (3 days. :) ) and I love it already. I've
managed to get it setup to answer requests and all that fun stuff. .. But
I've got one problem. I can't seem to get the "proxy_auth" config option
to work. Here is what it says outta the squid.conf.default about it.

# TAG: proxy_auth
# Usage: proxy_auth passwd_file [ ignore-domain ]
#
# 'passwd_file' is an apache-style file of passwords for
# authenticated proxy access Looks like user:password, with the
# password being standard crypt() format. Proxy authentication
# is disabled by default.
#
# 'ignore-domain' is a domain name for which authorization will
# *not* be required.
#
#proxy_auth /dev/null

Thats all fine and dandy. .. So I made a password file by using the
password generator that my apache web server came with.. 'htpasswd' to be
exact.

It generated the following password file.

squidpower:jAsKXJQdOwr2s

(the passwd is 'beans')

Now so far, all this is looking find and dandy too.
so I add the following proxy_auth line to my config file to begin to use
it...

proxy_auth /usr/local/squid/passwd

Then I did a killall squid, and restarted it, which gives me the following
error:

lizard~/bin$ squid
97/01/23 15:13:26| parseConfigFile: line 25 unrecognized: 'proxy_auth
/usr/local/squid/passwd'

Any ideas? This is of somewhat great importance. :)

-Bill Johns

http://www.hakk0rs.org